Historical Society, Inc.
[Above photo credit: Abandoned one-room school house in southern Paulding County. Legacy of One-Room Schools by Myrna J. Grove. 2000.]
Admission is Free!
Be a Volunteer!
here to view a map of Washington Township in 1892.
On December 11, 1868, Jackson Young deeded 1/2 acre of land on hte south side of Hamer road in Section 27 SW Quarter for the Williams School.
A lease given by Harrison Wilson on May 21, 1874 for hte Wilson School in Section 9 (two miles north of Roselms and 3/4 mile east, for 20 years.
The first school teacher in Washington Twp. was Lydia harrell. School was held in a small log cabin in Section 15 in the year 1843.
There was a "two mile law" which meant that schools were placed so that students were within one mile of their school, as everyone walked to school.
Name of School & Section it was located